The ‘aha’ moment is that moment, that occassion, that incident that forces a person to really start thinking about losing weight. This is not a new years resolution kind of thing, rather, it’s the real moment where you finally accept the way you look/feel, put your game face on and decide to do something about it.
Even though we are all different and we all lead different lifestyles, you would probably not be surprised to see there are 10 very common ‘aha’ moments that we all share.
- No longer fitting into old clothes. Summer comes round, and you try on your favourite pair of shorts and they just don’t fit right.
- You are feeling ill quite a lot and you are sure it comes down to your eating habits
- You are getting married (not just women!)
- You are sick of your flab and you want to tone up
- You have just had a baby and you want the ‘old you’ back
- Your doctor tells you you need to lose weight
- You just want to be healthier and fitter
- You walked up a flight of stairs and felt exhausted afterwards
- You saw an old photo of yourself and thought ‘what happened?’
- You are already healthy and fit already but you know you could be 10 times better if you applied yourself
If you were wondering, my ‘aha’ moment was a combination of several of the above:
I couldn’t fit into my clothes, both Summer and Winter. I refused to buy new clothes primarily because I was in denial but also because I couldnt afford an entire new wardrobe. NOTHING WOULD FIT! I found myself wearing very baggy and unflattering clothing. Then I saw an old photo and thought ‘OMG what happened?’ I was having stomach aches at least 3-4 times a week and even though I was playing basketball at the time, I was definitely not fit or anywhere close to being the kind of player I used to be during my peak years.
The point of this article is not to make you feel like your reasoning is a cliche, but that you are one of many people who feel the same way and have the same weight loss goal. You are not alone.