Healthy food shouldn’t be expensive! My healthy shopping list is pretty simple and not expensive.
On of the reasons that I do not like following written diet plans is because most of them require you to go out of your comfort zone when it comes to your shopping list. Generally a lot of diet plans, make you purchase items that are quite expensive and not easily found in every supermarket. Some diets and the food plans may look great and seem exciting but normally they turn out being really pricey and unsustainable. The honest truth of it all is that your really don’t need special ingredients on your shopping list to eat healthy, what you need is to be a little creative!
I would like to share my shopping list with you.
My shopping list looks like this:
- Butter beans (cans)
- kidney beans (cans)
- lentils (cans)
- Tuna in brine (large cans)
- Chicken breasts (frozen)
- Turkey breasts (frozen)
- Eggs (lots of eggs!)
- Milk (for my partner)
- Coffee & Green Tea
- Water ( lots of water! We have to buy it )
- Almonds (probably the most expensive thing on this list)
- Wholemeal bread/wraps/pasta/rice
- Peanut butter
- Veggies (seasonal so cheap) (Zucchini, green peppers, tomatoes, ginger, carrots, broccoli, spinach) If I can’t get broccoli and spinach fresh I get them frozen.
- Fruit (I don’t eat much to be honest, but I did 5 poached apples in cinnamon for dessert last week and was adding them to my oats in the morning as well)
- We do eat fresh fish and meat but not that often because it tends to be expensive. Normally I’ll save these meals for when I want to eat out. Where I will go all out and have a steak or a nice fresh tuna steak.
I do my grocery shopping every two weeks, in each visit, I stock up on herbs and spices to add to my meals.
During the winter I grow my own herbs at least. I have a 1 meter by 0.6m balcony and that is plenty of room for my herbs
Now you may recall that I have discussed supplements I take in the past, where I mention chia seeds, flaxseed, whey protein etc. Yes I do eat more than what is on the list above, but my partner doesn’t and he is perfectly healthy and lean. I take supplements to assist in my fitness goals