If you are looking for a healthy warming dish for lunch or dinner I can strongly recommend my tasty Chicken Caponata.
What you need:
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 medium sized zucchini - chopped into squares
- half a large aubergine – chopped into squares
- 1 large green pepper – chopped into chunks
- 1 can of tomato chunks in juice
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- olive oil
- Chicken breast.
- 1 low sodium chicken or vegetable stock cube.
- tsp of dried basil
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1/2 cup of water.
- season with pepper according to preferred taste
- fresh parsley (for the top)
- grated parmigiana cheese (for the top) *optional
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
In a large fry pan, fry off your onion and garlic lightly in some olive oil. Add a little more olive oil and add your chopped zucchini, green peppers and aubergines, stir and slightly fry before adding tomato chunks, tomato paste and sugar.
Stir and let it bubble on high heat for a few minutes. Add water, stock, and herbs and let it bubble a bit more on high heat. (2-4 minutes), then turn it down to low heat and cover with a lid. Leave on heat to simmer for 30 minutes, making sure there is alway enough liquid so it won’t burn.
To add the chicken as shown the photo. Follow my low fat chicken recipe. You can serve it as it is presented above or alternatively cut the chicken into square chunks and mix it through to make a stew. Seeing that the chicken is already cooked it does not need a lot of cooking to be heated. Cook it too much and the chicken will no longer remain tender.
Please Note: this is not a traditional Caponata recipe.